Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Asthma inhalers and dental decay

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Asthma inhalers and dental decay
I have been using asthma inhalers for many years to control mild excercise induced asthma.  Approx 2 years ago switched to Advair from Ventolin. Recent visit to dentist has shown SIGNIFICANT increase in decay. I am not a sweet eater and no other real reasons for this.  Prior history relatively normal ie teeth not great but not this bad.  Dentist remarked that only seen such rapid and widespread decay in "crystal meth drug users".  They are somewhat convinced asthma med has something to do with this rate of decay.

Are you aware of any such findings?
This is probably not related to the asthma.  However, it is possible that inhaled steroids might be related.  I would suggest having your dentist speak with the company to see if this has been reported before.
Hi.  I have noticed that some of my inhalers, as well as other meds, can cause severe dry mouth and anytime that happens you need to watch for dental decay.  "Without adequate saliva to lubricate your mouth, wash away food, and neutralize the acids produced by plaque, extensive decay can occur.  Sugar-free candy or gum stimulates saliva flow, and moisture can be replaced by using artificial saliva and oral rinses" (per ADA).  There are some good lozenges and sprays specifically made to help with dry mouth.  I use "Mouth Kote" by Parnell Pharmaceuticalals (it is available on the website dentist.net, as an example).  "Mouth Kote" is superior to "Oasis" by Sensodyne, but you may want to try several other products to find the one that works best for you.  Here is the link to Dentist.net dry mouth products:  http://www.dentist.net/drymouth.asp   Good luck with your next dental checkup.  Vicki
Hi again.  By the way, I just wanted to mention that I DO NOT work for the website I mentioned above in any way.  I am just a person who uses different medications that make my mouth dry.  Thanks.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker