Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Asthma related chest pain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Asthma related chest pain?

I have lived with asthma off and on for years. I first noticed it when I was playing sports in high school, especially in the colder months. Using my rescue inhailer would always help and I could go about my day. I did smoke for 12 years (I am now amost 34 and quit 4 years ago) and I am highly allergic to animals etc. I do though have 3 dogs which shed like crazy so I am sure that doesn't help my situation. My asthma has come and gone over the years but I have noticed it kicking up again lately along with chest pain?

Anyway, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a benign arryhthmia after having a full cardiac work up. I have this chest pain, usually on the left or right, sometimes in the center as well, it is not sharp but a dull ache, I can be sitting or standing, walking, talking etc. whatever. My docs are stumped. Had Thorasic MRI to check my spine, exrays, Chest CT Scan, echocardiogram, holters, EKGS etc. The only thing that we come up with is anxiety (duh) and maybe my asthma?  I have noticed tighness in my chest as well. The inhaler does help after a few moments for the tightness but the ache comes and goes.  its just so frustrating!

Just curious if this is a symptom that anyone else notices with their asthma, not just the chest tightness but the dull aches and pains that can come on either side of your chest, the center or even your back by your lungs?
The comprehensive testing you have had, with normal/negative results, is very reassuring to the extent that it effectively rules out major or serious causes of chest pain.

Asthma is classically associated with chest tightness but rarely associated with chest pain and I would be hesitant to ascribe the pain to your asthma.  But, while somewhat uncommon, chest pain can be a symptom of Acid Reflux (GERD).  GERD usually presents with the classic manifestations of heartburn and regurgitation; however, in some it can also present with extra-esophageal manifestations such as chronic cough, laryngitis, asthma or chest pain.  As described by you the pain is most likely of musculoskeletal origin, subtle bone/muscle/ligament inflammation not readily detectable by conventional testing.

While the likelihood of asthma (associated with labored breathing) being the cause of your pain, is remote, it would be wise in any event to confirm that your asthma is optimally treated and controlled to rule out that possibility.

Good luck