Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Astma and Allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Astma and Allergies

My daughter has Astma.  She is on daily medication to control it.  Even with medication she still has an attack every so often.  She has Astma that is triggered by allergins.  When the mold count is high, we have Astma.  She is also allergic to CATS.  She has eye drops that help her eyes not to run, but this is not a cure.  My sister in law has a cat.  She thinks that if my child takes her medicines that she should be able to go to her house with no problems.  My husband and I do not let the child go to her house because we think that it is a risk and do not want to take a chance with the child's health.  My child has gone to her house and come out with a runny nose and red eyes.  We think that the child's health is more important than going to her house.  Please give me information to help her understand just how serious Astma can be and how it can scar my child's lungs.  Thanks for the help!
You have actually described two different things in your note.  It is clear that your daughter is allergic and also has asthma.  From your note, it appears that when your child is near cats, her eyes tear and probably itch.  This is a common allergic reaction to cats.  Sometimes, antihistamines before exposure helps with this.  Many times they do not.

It is not clear if your child has an asthma attack when she is exposed to cats.  You did not state that in your note.  Not all children with asthma have attacks with cats.  If she does, she should avoid such exposure if she can.  If she cannot avoid the exposure, then she should increase her medicine before the exposure.  If the cats have not caused an asthma attack in the past, it does mean this will not happen in the future.  However it may not be enough of a trigger to do so in your sister-in-law
I am allergic to my cat, and have recently been having resperatory issues like wheezing, shortness of breath, and coughing (with phlem).  I recently went to the doctor and he prescribed me Medrol DosPak of 4mg and ADVAIR for asthma which he said I had.  I was researching and the Medrol seems to have a lot of side effects and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this medicine, or any other suggestions on other medicine for asthma and allergies. Thanx, Sandia