Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Atelectasis and Lung Nodules

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Atelectasis and Lung Nodules

I've had chest pain for the past year and in DEC 05 a CT chest showed a small 3mm subpleural nodule involving the lower left lobe.  A CT chest in MAY 06 showed an unchanged "solitary 3mm subpleural nodule in left lower lobe".  In OCT 06 I had a 64 slice CT-A done in which the report stated "lung nodules not seen".

Also, the CT chest from DEC 05 showed no air space disease or atelectasis.  The CT-A from OCT 06 found:  "There is some volume loss in both lung bases consistent with a component of atelectasis."

My questions are:

1)  in regard to the nodules, would it seem strange that the more detailed CT-A would not show the 3mm nodule?  Should I still have a follow up CT to check for growth on this nodule that may, or now, may not be there??

2)  in regard to the atelectasis finding, is this significant or a normal finding?  Is this something that I should see a pulmonologist for?  

Thanks so much for your time and answers!

tanns

Here are the answers to your questions.

1) I would recommend repeating the CT scan.  It is recommended to have two negative scans before skipping a 6 month test.

2) Atelectasis is seen when the airways collapse.  This is seen in asthmatics quite frequently, but is not a common random finding.  You may want to have the repeat CT scan and see if this is still present before making the decision to go to a specialist.  If the atelectasis is gone, then this is resolved.

Good luck
1 Comment
A related discussion, pneumothorax left was started.