Respiratory Disorders Community
Atypical bronchitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Atypical bronchitis

Hello, I'm new to these boards. I apologize if this has been addressed before. Over the last 2 months, I've been dealing with what my asthma specialist thinks may be atypical bronchitis. The symptoms are a non-productive cough and chest tightness. I'm currently on clarithromycin (for almost 30 days now) and he switched me to a new asthma inhaler Symbicort. I was previously on Advair. When my symptoms first began, my internist thought I had a ulcer that was causing the chest pain and cough. I was scoped, found to have gastritis and was given Prilosec. The stomach issue has gotten better, but the cough and chest tightness continued. This is why I went to my pulmonologist.
The weird thing is, after about a week on the clarithromycin, the cough and chest tightness were almost gone. Now, 2 weeks later, it's back. Would this be normal for atypical bronchitis? My pulmonologist did say the cough could hang around for months! The next step would be a CT scan of my lungs. I'm so tired of dealing with this.
Thanks for any help or hope you can offer me!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Clarithromycin can help to treat an infection. Lung function tests could help to assess the functional status of the lungs. Further therapy will be based on this and your oxygen saturation. CT scan may help to detect any structural lesions of the lungs. If the O2 saturation is below 88%, you will need supplemental oxygen therapy. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.