Respiratory Disorders Community
Back or lung pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Back or lung pain

I have had a severe pain in my right side back or lung that seems to ease if I take deep breaths.  I have had 2 thoracentisis procedures in the last month.  What is going on?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to pleuritis. The pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain and is referred to as pleurisy. This could be due to the thoracentesis procedure. Once the inflammation subsides the pain should resolve. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis. If it worsens consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.