Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Back pain when taking a breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Back pain when taking a breath

I have had severe back pain when I breathe.  If I take really slow little breathes I am fine, but I sometimes run out of breath and have to take a deep breath.  I have a sore throat, and at times a runny nose.  I also get really hot at times.  What could be causeing this?  What can I take to make it go away?
There are many causes of "severe back pain", the most common originating in the nerves, bones, joints and muscles. For example, the severe pain from a collapsed vertebra.   But, the association with deep breaths also strongly suggests that it could also be pleurisy.  You need to see your doctor who should take a careful history, examine your back and lungs and may want to take an X-ray.
You need to have a chest x-ray done as soon as possible.
I had the exact same problem about 10 years ago. I finally
gave up and went to the emergency room. Come to find out
I had pneumonia. I was shocked. At least get the x-ray to
possibly rule out pmeumonia.
Thank you for the help.  I went and got an X-ray and turns out that I still have a mild case of Pneumonia which I first got back in May, but I didn't have back pain then.  I am fine now.  Thanks again.
Please be aware that the symptons of this disease are very hard to distinguish between other diseases such pneumonia. You need to look carefully at how you feel, especially first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.
If you have got a large amount of mucus, and because the other symptons are hard to distinguish, i would recommend that you consult your nearest doctor, and tell him how you feel.

Richard
i have pain in my upper back, i feel fine except for that.. it tends to be sever pain when i go to bed at night, i wake up and can't hardly move, its hard for me to turn, bind or sit,it hurts really bad when i take a deep breath,if i take a hot shower it eaze the pain alittle.. what may cause this?
hi everyone
A related discussion, feeling so sore and lifeless was started.
hi everyone I have severe lower back pain when I breath and lay still and when I cough real hard my chest vibrates and some times I rum a fever in tha 100.0 and I get stomach pain out if no where and I can't move and I just sit there and cry it's so badI don't no what to do everytime I go to tha docter he dosent really help and I can't trust the emegecy room they just tell you that your fine and send you home can some help me out I'm tired of suffering I'm only 19 I can't do this anymoe....