Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bad Coughing been going on for a LONG time...

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Ive had a bad cough for awhile. At first it was a normal cold with runny nose and light coughing, but after runny nose went away the cough got worse. I've had it for about 4-5 weeks. Right now its at the point that when I cough its only once an hour or 1/2 hour or so, but when I cough it lasts a few seconds and it seems like its 3 coughs in a row. After coughing when I try to breath for the next 2-3 seconds its like I have hiccups and its hard to inhale air. After the 2-3 seconds its gone tho. Sometimes while coughing I throw up. Can anyone Help me? What do I have??
It is not uncommon to have a prolonged airway hypersensitivity following an upper respiratory tract infection.  This may also cause you to wake up during the night or early morning coughing.  Another possible cause of this type of response is that the sinuses have become involved due to your infection.  Inflammation and/or infection of the sinuses can cause the same type of coughing response.  Since this has been going on so long and not responding, it is a good idea to speak with your doctor.  Then it can be determined if this cough is coming from the upper or lower airways and treated appropriately.
what could it possibly be, assuming it was from the upper or lower airway, anything fatal?
I had a bad cough for a solid month. Mostly at night when it felt like someone was tickling inside my throat w/a feather. I didn't have any congestion or fatigue with it.
Now for 3 days my husband has had the same bad cough but he had a temp of 100 last night and he's quite weak & sweaty. But then, he's diabetic.
Best thing I did for mine was to suck on honey lemon cough drops all night. Now I can't stand the sight of those drops.

I hope you feel better by now. it sounds as if it might be pertussis especially if you never had such cough before and when you don't cough, you feel good (i.e. no fever or other flu symptoms etc.).
I can offer you to listen to your cough by recording it, better more than once, in different times. you can send it over any format. i can try to diagnose since the sound can be a great help for such diagnosis.
Take care and be well!
NK