Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bad cough for about 2 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Bad cough for about 2 weeks
I have had a really bad cough for about 2 weeks now. I thought at first I was getting a cold but I have had nothing at all.  No cold, no runny nose or anything, its just a cough.  It happens like every 10-15 min and I usually end up coughing for close to a minute.  There is no mucas, it is just a really rough cough. My voice also comes in and out, I will be talking and every few words just don't come out. I have tried a few cough medicines and they are doing nothing for me.  Alot of times when I start coughing, I cough so hard and so long that I start to gag. I have never had anything like this, and just wasn't sure if I should contact my doctor about it.
You should contact your doctor about your cough.  You need to have a thorough exam and possibly a chest x-ray to know what is causing your cough and the best treatment.  An ENT would be the type of specialist to look further at your voice box using a fiberoptic laryngoscope.
I have had a very similar case.  Exactly two weeks into an overcoming cough I was diagnosed with a bacterial pneumonia.  The tip off for me was some chest pain resulting from inflammation caused by the infection.  At first I thought I had collapsed a lung from so much coughing.

I had a couple a very low grade fevers, but hardly noticeable.

I saw my doctor after one week and there were no symptoms of pneumonia yet.

So I would guess you should be careful to avoid exposure. Otherwise I forget if yo have seen a doctor.
Info on cough:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/981200ap/lawler.html
An Office Approach to the Diagnosis of Chronic Cough

Excerpt:
"In studies of patients referred to tertiary care pulmonary practices, four conditions were found to be the cause of chronic cough in 65 to 95 percent of patients. The four causes were postinfectious bronchial inflammation, postnasal drip, asthma and GERD. In many patients, a combination of these causes was present. "
-------------
I started with laryngitis on July 2. I wasn't sleeping for days I was coughing so bad. Got some Codein syrup at the emergency room. Afer 10 days, I was still coughing, and got flu-like symptoms, sore throat, fever, runny nose. Got antibiotics and Prednisone (steroid). It didn't go away. Now I had been into this thing for 24 days. Went to an allergy specialist. He said I was allergic to dust, some weeds. Got heavy dose of Prednisone. Cough stopped. As soon as I stopped taking the steroid, cough came back with a vengeance. I have been coughin' now , what, almost 3 months? I sometimes think, I am going to lose my mind. I haven't slept well all this time. As soon as I put my head down,the invisible post-nasal drip just tickles, tickles, tickles. Unstoppable. dry cough. I never had allegies in my life. I am 51. I am desperate. Don't really know, neither does any of my doctors, what exactly causes it. Anybody with ideas?
Thank you
I'm a smoker and I have a horrible cough it gets to the point that I can barley breath what should I do??? Is there any way of treating or taming this cough without going to the doctor???
I have the exact same symptoms. I have been coughing for 2 weeks, have lost my voice! And my chest hurts too through coughing so much. I am quite worried I may have lung cancer which worries me greatly. I am a worrier but I do smoke and drink! Can anyone put my mind at ease?
I've had a really bad cough for 3wks now I went to the ER a few days ago got antibiotic to take for 5days but its day three & the cough is still there & chest is congested. What should I do?
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker