Respiratory Disorders Community
Bad smell from nose & mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Bad smell from nose & mouth

I have had the exact same problem with foulfighter for similar amount of time. No one knows how badly this affects your social life until it happens! I have seen 5 ‘Harley Street’ ENT specialist and they say they can not smell anything when I see them, so they think I am imagining it! They have tried to send me to a psychiatrist twice now!
I think because this is such a rare and hard case to crack, doctors/specialists (specialists in what I do not know), that they don't want to spend time studying the issue. So if they can’t help you they tell you to try this or try that. It’s a guessing game for them!  So we are left to suffer and die alone, almost! I have had everything done, from ct scans to 3 sinus ops. Had every spray and antibiotic you can think of for 5 years, and the smell is getting worse! Would you guys think that another country would take interest in this problem, as United Kingdom certainly doesn’t! I always thought that Harley Street in London was the best, in fact they just want your money too! If they can't help you they will be more than happy to still see you every two weeks for a little expensive chat (consultation)! Which helps them pay for their bills, but does not help me in one bit! Who would actually take an interest and study this situation?? I am more than happy to spend the next 3 month in hospital being ripped apart by someone who actually cares on finding the cause of this embarrassing illness!
I wake up each morning now hoping to die, as my social life is dead, so I might as well be too!

This discussion is related to Bad Smell in my nose.
I wish I had stumbled on this site years ago when I had been complaining of a "smell in my nose" which lasted for years.  I used to describe it to the doctors as "wet bird feathers".  I had all the CT scans
(no infections, but significant mucosal swelling and sinuses therefore would not drain).  Doctors said must be an allergic response to something.  Nasonex, and other prescriptions did not help.  Enclosed spaces, like my car, were the worst----smell increased, felt like I could not breathe.  Used a Netti pot with HYPOTONIC solution ( sodium bicarb, salt and water) ----LOVED THIS, could drag out all the secretions stuck in my sinuses   But had to do it 2 or 3 times a day faithfully .  Biggest source of help, cut out anything in my diet that could cause a yeast overgrowth----this is what made the smell go away!!!  Only time the smell in my nose returns  now is if I drink beer, so I no longer do.  OR, the other trigger is dust (smell returns), have to immediately irrigate with the netti pot after cleaning the house.  For me , it was all related to environmental allergies.
i also have the same problem, smell coming nose and mouth. ihave visted dr's ,dentists and no one can tell what it is. do you smoke? People call me stinky,offer me gum ,talk about , ihave even try commiting suscide. pleas help me I now live my life in the comfort of my home because People sniff at me when Igo out in public . I need help if any one has a soultion to my problem PLEASE HELP!!
Please don't let anyone be your judge.  You are too important to God. Please pray about your problem and ask Him for help. I don't know the answer to your problem, but nothing is worth ending your life over.  The smell could be anything, but so minute that the doctors haven't a clue.  I read about someone alergic (allergic) to walnuts (but didn't know it) and the body body's self healing system would take over and the walnuts would get enclaved in polyps behind the toung down the throat and rot.  Nothing would help until all the rottiness had run its course.  The person finally quit eating walnuts and the smell stayed away.  Whether this is true or not, I don't know.  Anything is possible.  Please stay calm and find out if you are alergic (allergic) to something like maybe walnuts. God bless, I'll pray for you.
Sorry to hear you feel that way. I too have ahd this problem for years and years and have also suffered as a result. Ive had course after course of antibiotics, xrays and had given up ever finding a cure. I started to use a saline nasal irrigator which worked a little bit for a while but after reading one of the discussions on this site, I started to add two to three drops of tea tree oil to the saline solution. Somebody on this site suggested using oil of oregano which is similar but quite expensive. Tea tree oil is a natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial also but is a lot cheaper. I have been doing this twice a day for a week and Im not joking when I say I think Ive cured it!!! Seriously, the smell has gone and my breath actually smells nice for the first time in my sorry life!
Promise me you'll try this.  Please, please try it, I got my nasal irrigator from a holistic website called 'shopholistic'' and it was a sinusclanse squeeze kit.
Good luck!!!!!
I also have a bad smell in my nose and a bad taste in my mouth.It seems that everytime i eat somthing like pizza,beer,peanuts or spices it gets much worse,even drinking water wont help. People say i smell like garbage or some other horrible comment. I Wish we had a cure ,maybe someday!
hi my name is mandi oflarty and for ages now i have been getting a strange smell up my nose its very hard to decribe i can only say it smells of chemicals! it mainly comes after crying or it will just come please can you tell me what this is as it is starting to worry me as doctors have said nothing apart from get mouth wash!! please can you help me find out what this smell is please . Thanks . Mandi
A couple of years ago, I had an infection in my nose, that no one would believe, but that's another story.  It damaged the 1 cm square area high in my nose that effects taste and smell.  I think that this is what you are all describing.  There's little that you can do about.  Sometimes it improves on its own.  There's a Taste & Smell Clinic at the University of Pennsylvania where these things are studied, they have a website.  You can go there.  There's not much hope.  There's also a blog that you probably can find by key wording "This phantom smell is killing me".  

This can also be caused by head injuries.