Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bad taste and smell

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Bad taste and smell

Hey i am so desperate!!!  I have been getting this terrible taste and smell off and on for about two years now and i have no idea where it comes from.  I get it almost every day and it will last all day or even a week.  It seems to happen alot if i sneeze, laugh out loud, yell or scream, and even sometimes if i blow my nose.  My sister gets is too and her doctor told her it sounded like acid reflux.  I dont bvelieve it is .  Neither one of us has any other symptoms of acid reflux ( no heartburn or anything)  It will ruin my day.  There are alot of foods i love that icant ejoy when i get this taste.  Sweet things especially for whatever reason.  My family doctor prescribed nasal spray and allergy medicine but neither work and i have never suffered from allergies before.  Brain tumors are in my family.  Could this be a possibility?  I am so desperate!! Please help me!!
You will need to check with your doctor to know for sure the cause of getting this terrible taste and smell off and on for about 2 years.  The odds are against this being due to a brain tumor.  However brain tumors can result in a variety of odors.  Acid reflux and sinusitis are the 2 most likely causes of your problem.  Another possible cause is atrophic rhinitis.  Over the years this condition has decreased, so it is less likely to be the cause of your problem.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the back flow of stomach contents, including digestive juices, into the esophagus or food tube.  This is most commonly called acid reflux or heartburn. This reflux can come all the way up into the mouth and nose.  When this happens the material can be aspirated, dribbling into the windpipe and lungs.  This could explain your symptoms.

GERD can cause the following symptoms:
pLEASE HELP!!  THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME! I wake up and go to sleep feeling congested.  I have gone to the doctor and he prescribed flonase/rhinocort and steroids. Nothing helped and caused a lot of nose bleeds.  Recently I noticed that when I yawn I smell pus and feel pain on the xyphoid process when I bend down. (I have no history of heart problems) I dont have any fevers indicating infection.

Do you think that the congestion is causing the ache on the area just mention?

Does nose congestion cause respiratory problems?

Do you think that if there is drainage infection, it is capable of traveling thru the respiratory system?  

thank you

A related discussion, bad taste and smell was started.