Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Barium aspiration.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Barium aspiration.

My father, age 82, had an upper GI performed about a month ago.  During the procedure the tech. kept telling him to hurry up and my father ended up aspirating barium.  Since that time he has had increased difficulty with breathing and is weak.  He has been hospitalized once and received IV antibiotics since this happened for a 'possible' pneumonia/infiltrate.  He has had both a chest x-ray and CT scan.  He was discharged home one week ago and has an appointment with a pulmologist this coming Monday, February 23.  I realize the barium is not going away.  I will be going with my father to his appointment and want to know ahead of time what some of the options are for possibly removing the barium?  I hope they can do something, because he is so weak and out of breath that he is miserable.  He has Type II diabetes and is slightly anemic.  The reason he was having the upper GI performed was because he had been coughing and 'choking' as if something were in his throat, although these episodes were occasional. His results from the upper GI were negative.

Any information about how to possibly remove the barium from his lungs (both lower lobes) would be greatly appreciated.  I just want to have an idea of what might be said at his appointment on Monday.

Thanks,
Sue