Respiratory Disorders Community
Benadryl vs Allegra

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Benadryl vs Allegra

I am always congested it seems and have trouble breathing through my nose. Nasonex helps some. I was prescribed symbocort because when i get real bad I can't breath through my mouth either. I was told it may be allergies. Was given Zyrtec. My sinus mucus swelled up so bad i could hardly breath and my face turned bright red. I did not take it again after that. I tried just general Benadryl and had the same reaction. Red face hard to breath through the nose. I was recently prescribed Allegra and am nervous to take it as it looks like it has a lot of the same medication as benadryl but stronger. Are these medications the same?

This discussion is related to Post-Nasal cough?.
Allegra is pretty much the same but is anti-doze. It gave my daughter a bad case of insomnia. You might be best off taking 500 mg of vitamin B5. It will reduce the inflammation and thin the mucus, with no side effects. The first couple of days take 1000 mg. For me it works like a charm. In fact I had been on those dangerous inhaled steroids (like symbocort) and the B5 worked much, much better.
hmmm I will check it out. Thank you :)