Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bernstein

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Bernstein

In December I underwent a Colonoscopy after the results of an earlier Endoscopy proved inconclusive. The procedure was carried out by a researcher as the person tasked with performing the procedure was otherwise engaged. Within moments i felt incredible pain and could see that my stomach was expanding with air. It became so painful I was given 25m of a pain killer and I began to vomit. After 30 minutes the researcher gave up as he said the camera had doubled over and wouldn't progress. The man tasked to originally carry out the procedure arrived and after 15-20 minutes he too gave in as I was in so much pain. After 15 minutes I was discharged despite complaining of having air trapped in my stomach. (The 2nd Dr had put his knees in my back in an attempt to free the trapped air but was only partially successful.) My oxygen level on discharge was 92, it had been 97 on my arrival. I hailed a taxi to go home but was so bloated and in pain I couldn't get into it. Thinking a walk would free the air I made my way down the road but was struck with what felt like a huge air bubble exploding from my lower abdomen into the left side of my chest, a smaller but similar air bubble sensation followed almost immediately. I made my way home but collapsed shortly afterwards. An ambulance was called and I was rushed to A&E where chest drains were inserted. I was told I had suffered a tension pneumathorax and about a week later a thoraco-laparotomy was performed. I am still breathless and in a degree of pain. I am told that a diaphragmatic hernia may have caused this and it had probably been there for years. I am also advised its likely I will suffer another pneumathorax. I was training for the London Marathon in the days leading up to the Colonoscopy and I dont ever recall having problems with my chest, could the Drs/Specialists be mistaken and what is the genuine likelyhood of this frightful injury reoccurring? Thank you Dr.
We recommend that you seek a second opinion from a gastroenterologist; one totally unrelated in any way, professionally or otherwise, to the 2 physicians who performed the colonoscopy.