Respiratory Disorders Community
Big glob of bloody mucus!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Big glob of bloody mucus!

Okay so I started feeling sick last night with just a bad headache, coughing and sore throat. I often have sinus problems but for once my nose was clear and I could breathe fine with it. This afternoon I sneezed and this big glob of something came out of my nose. The glob was white and seemed like a really thick mucus and it had globs of blood on it and a green mucus around it. I found that after that one sneeze I just had to blow once (clear mucus came out) and my nose was clear again. My throat and head still hurt really bad and now I am kinda feverish. Are this glob and sickness related or do I just have a cold and this just happened to happen now. Also I read that this was common after a surgery but I have never had any kind of surgery!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The mucus and bloody discharge could be due to sinusitis. It can cause facial pain. It can also cause post nasal drip and lead to an irritation in the throat. This can result in throat infections. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.