Respiratory Disorders Community
Black Mucous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Black Mucous

For the past few months I have noticed I sneeze alot more then normal. I sneeze about 10-20 times a day. And most recently I noticed black in my mucous. As far as I know Im not allergic to anything. Why is this happening and should I be worried?
Tags: mucous
Black mucous is a sign of a fungal infection. These are often nasty and difficult to get rid of. You really need to see a physician. Try flushing your sinus cavities with saline several times a day.
I should also add that black mucous is ocasionally blood, but I don't think that is the case in your situation.
clean your sinuses with NETI POT(NASAL POT). Use lukewarm water + salt. Works great . Consult your doctor about this technique.

Here is a pot to buy

http://www.bytheplanet.com/ingr/ingr025300.cfm

Tild your head forward and sideways.Breathe through your mouth.Pour it in one nostril and it should come out the other.Not scray at all and very safe. When I did this it cleared up my sinuses!

4tf.com to boost your immune system. These are transfer factor molecules which teach your immune system.
im experience the same thing.i have black/greyish mucous.

I started with constant nose bleed since april 2008.turned out to be sinusitis and allergies.i got my nasal membrane burnt with silver nitrate to stop the bleeding. it took 3 months for the bleeding to disappear completely.i do nasal irrigation if my nose is completely blocked.n i had been taking antibiotics for a very long period.now im much better but i keep having running nose n sneezing all the time.so i keep taking antihistamine n sparying nasonex as advised by doctor.

i got my mucous checked as it was blackish.doctor suspected it to be mold or fungus.The result came negative.i was relieved.and my sinus got much better. but then i keep finding this blackish mucous together with clear one.n seems to have problems with my nose,lots of phelm,n couging from time to time. I'm now very concerned as I read that it might be something related to the lung.

Actually the doctor has asked me to have my lung checked,but i had it last year and it was fine. i'm not a smoker n never snorted anything.i live in United Arab Emirates,Abu Dhabi where it is very dusty as sometimes there's sand storm.but i never noticed this mascara-like  mucous before.i moved here for a year and before i used to live in bahrain for 3 yrs n a half which is pretty much the same environment.so i dont think it's something to do with dust. i only had blackish mucous after a night out,obviously because of smoke in the bar.but i dont go clubbing these days.doctors here are not so reliable n can barely identify the sickness.i'm going back to thailand next month,so i will consult my doctor about this matter again.

for the time being.i couldn't find a possible reason why it's black.i don't know if it's something to do with samonella.i had samonella8months back,but later had liver fuction checked n it was fine.but i didnt have my lung checked.but as i was already cured.i dont think it has something to do with this.

i'm very concerned.any suggestion or opinion will be appreciated.
***@****
just to correct my spelling,it's salmonella.