Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Blood Streaks

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Blood Streaks
I am a 39 y.o non-smoking female.  For the past ten days, after waking & showering, when clearing my throat & spitting into the sink there is a streak of bright red blood.  Nothing after that.  On occassion, when I blow my nose there is a tiny smidge of red blood - but I don't have a cold, so am rarely blowing my nose.  I had a normal chest xray last week.  My family doctor said it could be the dry winter air.  I am not coughing and am not otherwise ill.  How much, if any, further investigation of this "problem" would be warranted.
This is a common problem in the winter due to the dry forced air heating.  The lining of the nose gets dry and irritated and many different types of stimuli can cause small amounts of bleeding. If the extent is as you describe, I would not think there is anything else to do.  If it increases, see your physician, who can look into your nose and throat.
As an update, the CAT scan was normal. :)
MY HUSBAND AND DAUGHTER HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND THE DOCTORS TOLD US TO TRY A HUMIDIFIER IN THE WINTER MONTHS BECAUSE OF THE DRYNESS.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker