Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Blood in Phlegm every morning

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Blood in Phlegm every morning

Hi there, I have a question...

I am 26 years old and have smoked for 10 years. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago, and dont plan on going back to it ever! The problem I am having is, every morning when I wake up, I still feel a clogged up in my throat (Like I have been smoking) and this forces me to "hork". It's always green, brown, or yellow, and there is always a little bit of blood in it.

My nose seems to most of the time be quite stuffed, so I dont know if this is from dry sinuses or something like that, and  there is no blood in the phlegm later in the day, just a small amount in the morning.

Within the last two months, I have had a chest Xray and everything was fine on it, as well as hematology, where again everything was fine.

This blood in the phlegm is actually starting to bother me, although I assume it's most likely a sinus thing, but cannot be sure.

I dont have a cough, just the urge to hork all the time that I assume is from smoking for quite a while that has created a post nasal drip of a sort... Anyways, I just wanted to know what your opinion was on the matter, any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Ryan
In the healthy lung, nose, and sinuses there are small hair-like projections called cilia that clean the lungs, nose, and sinuses by moving phlegm out.  Smoking can paralyze or permanently damage this cleaning system.  When you quit smoking your lungs, nose, and sinuses begin to recover from the inflammation that has occurred over the 10 years that you smoked.  Most likely this inflammation is causing your symptoms.  This inflammation can cause some blood to leak from the blood vessels that are close to the surface of the inside of your nose, sinuses, and the airways of your lungs.  This may appear as a small amount of blood in your phlegm just in the morning.  It
I also suffer from blood in phlegm every morning and no one will feel sorry for me cos I am a smoker and I really cannot help that??? I have been to my doctor and have been given antibiotics and they appear to have stopped the blood and the green and brown stuff but not the cough.
This cough has been going on for years and sometimes I cough out and I cough out and I cough out and out and out and cannot get any air in cos I am coughing out so much I think I am going to pass out??? tough you might say,,,, well yes it is,,,, there are some that can stop smoking and some that cannot, me one of the cannot,( I hope I can)
I have tried soo much... the patches produced non cancerous growths called lypomas on my arm and leg where I put them and these growths had to be removed for fear they may turn cancerous? I have no proof its them but I had no growths before.
The gum I loved but ultimately after a month had a smoke with them so ended up with two additions.
Do I want to stop smoking???? Of cos I do, I bet 99% of folk want to stop, I hate the fact that this drug is in control of me
and me not in control of it.
I seem to have spent my life trying to kick the habit with smoking clincs etc,,, I have gone 8 whole months without smokes then my daughter got leukaemia and I started again... I got 6 months clear then the same daughter got diabetes .. I got ?? a smoke and Keratosis of the vocal cords..
My dentist says try a conforter ie: a dummy??
I'm still not past trying but it's soo hard.
ANYONE ELSE THE SAME AS ME????
I'm just wondering if there is going to be a doc that's going to attempt to answer the question I posted on here..l I'm not to sure how this site works but, maybe he/she could answer your too... ?
New here, just found the forum today.  I understand all the problems listed above and I have faced them all and am now facing pneumonia and asthmatic bronchitis.  I quit smoking for a year and started back when my mother died in April of this year, have not been able to kick the habit again, so far, but I know I can and I will.  I just wanted to post in support of those smokers trying to quit and have quit, believe me I swore I would never start again and I didn't think I would but I did when my mother got sick the last time then died.   My mother was also a smoker and she died from COPD, not a pretty death to say the least.  I am a medical technologist and worked in open heart surgery so yes I know the damage that smoking can do but I also know it is hard to kick the habit.  

Now the person that mentioned they felt really bad after having quit smoking, well the first time I ever quit that happened to me and I thought why am I quiting but the doctor I was working with at the time informed me it was where the nairs and cilia and stuff have been pretty much paralized, probably misspelled, from the tobacco for all the years and were now coming back and able to move things out again so the reason for the stuffiness and excess mucus was because of that.  Hang in there it will go away.

Bucketta
A related discussion, constant phlegm problem was started.
A related discussion, coughing up gobs of blood in the morning only for 3 mo was started.
A related discussion, Blood in phlegm for the first time. was started.
A related discussion, Blood in my phlegm was started.
A related discussion, pain in my stomach was started.
its just 2months that i cultivate a habit of smoking.
Everymorning i cough n ther is a stream of blood sometimes a clot of blood in my phlegm.ths is just threatening me everyday.whats wrong with my health status?ther was sometimes too in my childhood that i saw blood in my phlegm but i didnt even care coz i didnt know what it was.
Any is ther anybody who can gv me opinion or suggestions cuz i just dun no what to do,should quit?or what?i dun know
Plz help me.