Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Blood in Throat Phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Blood in Throat Phlegm

I recently found out that I had a bacterial infection but due to all my symptoms they had no idea what it was til they ran three tests on me. The checked me for strep throat, flu dabs in my nose, and took blood to see if I had mono. After all these tests were negative they said bacterial infection and gave my zithromycin (can't spell it). Here was my symptoms, I had an unbelievably bad sinus  headache along with an earache and sore throat. No coughing happened til AFTER the blood started coming up which was almost a 10+ hour window. My body was also achy from my back down and overall weak. After getting on the antibiotic, which I started three days ago now, I don't have the sinus headache anymore but the earache and sore throat are still there pretty strong. Finally, the phlegm in my throat stopped being so green/brown and recently went to a clear/white thick with bright red in it. Last night I brought up some that was all red. I only started coughing after the blood was found in my phlegm, so what could possibly cause this?
What you describe suggests that you did indeed have a serious bacterial infection of your sinuses, ears and throat.  Your response to the antibiotic, Azithromycin, would be consistent with that diagnosis and your response too it, while incomplete (as of the date of your post) is very encouraging.  You should definitely complete the prescribed course of the antibiotic and realize, that given the severity of the infection, you could possibly benefit from yet another course of the antibiotic.

All your other symptoms are consistent with a bad infection, including the achiness.  So is the blood in your phlegm but surprising that it should come from an infection, when the infection seems to be resolving.  If the blood is from the infection, I would expect it to resolve as the infection clears.  If it does not and, especially, if it worsens as you continue to feel better, you should definitely report this to your doctor and you and your doctor may want to request consultation with an ENT specialist to make sure that the blood is not an indicator of disease other than infection and if so, might have predisposed you to the infection in the first place.

I hope that everything has cleared, symptoms and blood, by the time you receive this reply but, if you have continued to experience even a little blood in your phlegm, definitely report it to your doctor.

Good luck