Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bloody mucous in back of throat.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Bloody mucous in back of throat.

Over the past two weeks I've noticed a blood stained color to the mucous in the back of my throat. I have no cough, sore throat, or sinus pressure. It is at it's worst in the morning, slowly tapering off by the evening. My doctor told me to "just keep an eye on it for the next couple of weeks." I'm pretty sure it's not originating in my lungs because sometimes I hack up mucous from my lungs and there's no blood. I also notice a mild draining sensation coming from my sinuses. Also most of the time the blood has more of a pink appearance than the red color. I also know it's not coming from inside my mouth, I have to actually pull the mucous from the back of my throat to see it.

Has anybldy heard of this??? It's driving me crazy. I'm a fairly healthy 28 yr old male.
Your doctor is right.  The red color, if it is blood, could be coming from your nose or any of the areas adjacent to it.  Your doctor's recommendation is appropriate.  If it doesn't cease in another couple weeks, you should have a good exam by an ENT specialist.
You refer to hacking up phlegm from your lungs.  That is definitely abnormal for a healthy 28 year old.  If you smoke, you should give it up immediately.

I am 28, too, having the same problem with some blood occasionally in mucous from the back of the throat. With nasal dripback and a clear mucous coughed up from my lungs directly.

As I was clueless, I have recently taken a gastroscopic exam and it showed some oseophagitis caused by an acid reflux from the stomach. I was told, that this might be one source (among the others like sinusitis) of the slight amount of fresh blood in the throat. You may ask your doctor about it. Hope it helps somehow.
my family (4 of us) all recently had a viral infection (minor cold) adn we all ended up with blood from the back of the nasal area or sinuses - I don't think it was related to damage caused by blowing. Even the 1 year old had the same thing and he doesn't know how to blow his nose. It went away after a few weeks. None of us had eperienced anything like it. We put it down to the particular virus (or whatever). Just one option.
Thanks. I recently saw my physician and was prescribed antibiotics for sinusitis, it's been 4 days now and it seems to be tapering off somewhat. Thanks for your comments, it helps a lot.