Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Breathing Difficulty?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Breathing Difficulty?

i am 18 years of age and  for the past 4 months i have been experiancing frequent illnesses which just seem to be symptoms similar to just flu. but recently about a week ago, i started to have trouble breathing, there is a weird tightness in my lungs and breath feels short. At night is when it is worst i cannot sleep, also my nose is quite blocked it is not snotty i think it maybe something to do with my sinuses but i am not sure. i went to the doctors and was issued with an inhaler but it doesn't seem to help at all, the doctor said that i was fine and my breathing levels were ok, but i definatly do not feel as if this is just a common infection. i also feel cold most of the time even with a few jumpers on indoors with central heating blazing away. so if anyone could help me out or give me and insight to whats wrong i would be very greatful.
Symptoms that last this long are often due to a chronic sinus infection.  This may start as a common cold and then the infection spreads to your sinuses.  The symptoms you have described are fairly typical of this.  Please talk with your doctor about getting a CT scan of the sinuses.  This is the best way to identify a sinus infection.

Viral infections like a cold can cause inflammation of the airways of the lungs.  Usually when this occurs, you will cough when you are active or laugh.  This inflammation can cause chest tightness and shortness of breath.  After the cold is gone, it is possible for the inflammation to linger.  This inflammation can last for several weeks.  Sometimes this inflammation may linger for 3 to 6 months.  Eventually the inflammation will go away, and then the chest tightness and shortness of breath will stop.  This is called reactive airways disease (RAD) and behaves a lot like asthma.  On a simple breathing test, called spirometry, this may not show up.  When this inflammation is treated with an inhaled steroid, which is used to treat asthma, it often clears more quickly.  Your doctor is the best judge of this.
The flu is a respiratory disorder, so you could possibly having trouble getting over it.  I know it is frustrating not being able to breath every day.  What did the doctor say was causing all of this?  (If he just issued you an inhaler, I would get a new one...)  You could also have had some type of adult-onset asthma that was brought on by this infection.
thanks very much for the feedback, i will speak to my doctor about this i had a spiro test today and it showed up normal, my breathing has seemed to get a little better but the muscles around my chest and bones feel bruised not sure if this is just normal. also i have a lump on the roof of my mouth now. i am gonna get checked up but i also think there is something wrong with my sinus because lately i've began to get headaches alot which is not very regular because i never usually get headaches, also my nose is usually always blocked in one nostril. anyways thanks
Hello

Here is the chain of events I am undergoing:

1. I had a flu attack during 1st week of Jan and took some paracetamols and was back to normal in 4 days time.
2. Since 14th Jan, I am experiencing shortness of breath. I had on 14th Jan and then till 20th Jan I was fine. Again on 21st I had this problem once in the morning and again in the evening. Next day I was fine. Again on 23rd I had the same problem.
3. Usually during these 4 times of attack, I had to breath consciously to keep myself ok and this I have to do for nearly 2 hours. After this period of 2 hours, I start breathing normally as if nothing has happened.
4. I was a smoker for nearly 20 years (just 5 cigs a day) and since 14th Jan I have totally quit.
5. I had a sitting with my family physician on 22nd who did a chest examination and ECG and chest xray, all are fine, no abnormalities.
6. On 23rd Jan, when the problem recurred, I was reffered to emergency where again the Chest examination, ECG, blood pressure, blood tests, chest xray was done and here again the doctor said all my reports are negative and does not see any abnormalities.
8. I have been advised to get an Echo/Stress test done, which I will get them done shortly.
9. I am a diabetic
10. I am really worried about my situation. I am born and brought up in India and presently in Toronto on an official assignment. So is the extreme weather a reason for my condition. The other symptom I have is a slight heartburn too but ocassionally.

Could you please help me in understanding my problem. Thanks in Advance.