Respiratory Disorders Community
Breathing Paint Fumes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Breathing Paint Fumes

My place of work has been painting the hallway doors and baseboards for the past week. The area they are painting is NOT ventilated (there are no windows to open at all).  We are all having nose, throat, and eye irritation. A girl who is pregnant had to go work in a different part of the building at the advice of her doctor.

Should we be worried about the effects of breathing these fumes? We are here from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. The paint is a latex semi gloss. I looked up the VOC's and they are 86 g/l. which I read are within paint guidelines, but I can't help feeling we are all in danger of respiratory problems because of the fumes.

I would really appreciate a medical opinion.

Thank you!

They also used a paint thinner at one point in the week and again there was NO ventilation at all.
Tags: irritable