Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Breathing after pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Breathing after pneumonia

I had pneumonia in July, and was hospitalized. They doctor did a bronchoscopy, and after I took antibiotics, probiotics, and predisone. Shortly after I stop taking the predisone, I started to have difficulty breathing, and started to cough more and more. I did another CT scan, and lungs were clear. The doctor gave me advair to use, it helps, but I have to use it everyday, and I still have a breathing issue. Also, after the first use I coughed up a yellowish chuck of mucus. Should I see another doctor for another opinion?
My advice is that you first ask your doctor what he/she believes to be the cause of your difficulty breathing.  Given that your repeat CT Scan was “clear”, it is likely that you have asthma and/or bronchitis, a not uncommon occurrence following lung infection in a person with a predisposition to asthma.  It would be good to confirm the diagnosis.  If it is asthma, you might need additional asthma medication to achieve relief.

The one time coughing up of “yellowish mucous” is not cause for alarm.  Sounds like the mucous was something that should be expelled and the Advair stimulated it to be expectorated.
Daily use of Advair is the most effective way to use the drug for asthma treatment.

You ask, should you see another doctor for a second opinion?  My recommendation is that you first notify your doctor that the Advair is not providing good relief of symptoms and ask if there is another drug that could taken with the Advair for a better result.  Then, if you continue to be symptomatic, it would be reasonable to seek another opinion.

Good luck