Respiratory Disorders Community
Breathing/cough problem, related to smoking
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Breathing/cough problem, related to smoking

I am a 27 year old male with a smoking related cough/lung problem. I have been a smoker on and off for 10 years. When I was younger I smoked a pack or two a day, but quit twice for a year each time. For a while I only smoked 5 or  6 cigarettes a day and if I tried to smoke more, problems would occur. Right now I'm smoking about 10, sometimes more a day, and by the end of the day I cough each time I attempt to take a drag. Either before I go to sleep, or usually in the middle of the night I wake up with a severe coughing fit. I will cough nonstop for 10-20 minutes, unable to draw deep breaths. Sometimes I will cough to the point of retching, or actually throwing up. My lung will hurt for a while after the coughing fits and if i take too deep of a breath I will start coughing all over again. My lung capacity seems fairly normal when I haven't been smoking too much, and I don't get winded too easily generally. In the middle of an attack it's impossible to draw deep breaths and my chest hurts when I do. What could be the cause of these problems, and what can I do to treat this, beyond the obvious solution of quitting smoking as soon as possible. The attacks have happened infrequently over the past 3 years, which much much more regularity over the past few weeks/months, happening almost every night.