Aa
A
A
Close
Breathing/cough problem, related to smoking
I am a 27 year old male with a smoking related cough/lung problem. I have been a smoker on and off for 10 years. When I was younger I smoked a pack or two a day, but quit twice for a year each time. For a while I only smoked 5 or  6 cigarettes a day and if I tried to smoke more, problems would occur. Right now I'm smoking about 10, sometimes more a day, and by the end of the day I cough each time I attempt to take a drag. Either before I go to sleep, or usually in the middle of the night I wake up with a severe coughing fit. I will cough nonstop for 10-20 minutes, unable to draw deep breaths. Sometimes I will cough to the point of retching, or actually throwing up. My lung will hurt for a while after the coughing fits and if i take too deep of a breath I will start coughing all over again. My lung capacity seems fairly normal when I haven't been smoking too much, and I don't get winded too easily generally. In the middle of an attack it's impossible to draw deep breaths and my chest hurts when I do. What could be the cause of these problems, and what can I do to treat this, beyond the obvious solution of quitting smoking as soon as possible. The attacks have happened infrequently over the past 3 years, which much much more regularity over the past few weeks/months, happening almost every night.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Have you had any lung function tests done? Possibly asthma!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
Top Respiratory Disorders Answerers
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank