Respiratory Disorders Community
Breathing difficulty and sinus problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Breathing difficulty and sinus problems

My whole life I have been diagnosed with asthma. Never had any asthma attacks but from a very young age would become ill every month or so with colds which would then turn into very bad chest infections which would take up to a month to go away.

Im currently 23 and as ive got older the chest infections have almost stopped. However I still get a very bad tightness in the upper chest/lower throat region. Nothing gets rid of it apart frfom rest. Whis means i have to take a lot of time from work etc. I also still suffer from nasel soreness which then almost always works its way down to my chest where it worstens the tightness. For instance yesterday i was feeling very tired and i went up the london gherkin building to the top. The change in air pressure has affected me so much that i now have the soreness in my nasel region, dry throat and slight cold.

The tighnes sin the chest i feel most days. wlways worst at night, in the morinings and when tired. The situations which make it worse are exposure to strong smells, smoke, air pollutents and talking etc. When flying i almost always have the sinus problem which than turns into a cold(sore swallowing, talking etc) and then makes the chest tightness worse.

The testing i have had has been ENT, chest xray, various asthma breathing tests which lead to the conclusion i do not have asthma as my reslults were always so good. Even after induced hystamine lung function tests.

In terms of medication i have tried all of the inhalers, none really helping. Singular, phyllocontin which didnt seem to help much. The only medication which helped were the chest steroids which are only safe to take twice a year. As soon as i come off them it slowly comes back. Im now on the waiting list to have a bronchoscopy, which im hoping may help.

I would greatly apreciate any advice or help anyone cdould give. Its so difficult not knowing what it is and frustrating knowing i cant do anything to help it either.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Rob
You asked, and you can do something to help your body to get better.Start this pranayam today and you will feel the benefit in weeks.The extra oxygen going into the lungs and blood will help you.Come back with your progress and how you are feeling.I will suggest more techniques, to help you further.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Thank you for your advice.

I will start this technique and let you know the outcome.

How do you think this could help my sinus problems and allergies to smoke etc?

many thanks
Do the anulom vilom with concentration, before breakfast, lunch or dinner.Allow 2.5 seconds roughly to breathe in and same time to breathe out.
There is imbalance in your body systems. The left and right nostril play a big part in getting your body into balance and building up your immune system.
As the immune system builds up, you will notice the symptoms decreasing gradually, including the sinus and allergies, over the longer term.