Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Breathing pain in the upper right back

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Breathing pain in the upper right back

About a month ago I had a very tender spot under my right breast, it was painful to press on.  After a few weeks the pain was the same, neither worse or better, but then I started to have pain in my upper right back when I took deep breaths.  I finally went to the doctor and she felt it was a rib problem, so I had an X-ray and it showed a normal reading.  A week went by and the pain finally started to subside except for the pain that I still have in breathing in deeply, I have just developed a deep cough and it is aggravating the pain in my back even more.  Is this just a result of a bruised rib and this is the course it takes to heal?  Also does a rib x-ray show the lungs?  Thanks for you help in this matter.
Oddly enough, I had a similar experience in that I had pain in my back right in the upper rib area that at first was diagnosed as a strained rib. Eventually I developed a deep cough and finally a lung x-ray revealed I had pneumonia. Maybe you have pneumonia and just don't know it? It might be worth asking.
Thank you for your input, I was thinking it could be that, but the cough has ended, now I just have a cold (mainly sore dry throat). I noticed that the pain is a little less but still there, who know's, I keep "giving it another week", maybe next week if I still feel that sensation I'll go back to the doctor!
Pneumonia can be tricky and seem to be improving and suddenly get worse, you really should not put off going to the doctor because whatever you have could get worse and the treatment could be more difficult to endure if you wait. You're talking about your ability to breathe here, don't play with your chances. Remember, if it is pneumonia it can become deadly if ignored long enough!

Good luck and God Bless

Tracie, Lady Lightbringer
Thank you for the advice, I will call the doctor and see if I can come in on monday.  I didn't realize that I could feel better and then get worse, don't know much about pneumonia. Are there any other symptons I should watch for, so far all I have is a deep cough that isn't too bad, mainly at night and a soreness when i breath in deep.  Any more info you have would be appreciated!  Thank You