Respiratory Disorders Community
Breathing problems from a virus??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Breathing problems from a virus??

I'm a 51 year old male that had never seen an inside of a hospital until September of 2012. 6 months ago I got some form of infection in my lungs. My chest gets tight and I wheeze when I breath. I went to a doctor twice, the first time I got a prescription of a bacteria infection, the next for a virus. Both times it didn't work, it came right back. Finally I went to the ER, they took an X-Ray and the doctor told me that it was "most likely" a virus and it would have to run its course. Well it's 6 months and it's back, it goes away sometimes for a week but then for no reason comes back all at once. The doctor said my X-Rays showed my lungs were clear, but right now my chest is tight and I'm wheezing. I was prescribed an inhaler, which helps with the wheezing. My question is:
All of my vitals are good. No fever, no high blood pressure, in fact the nurse that took my vitals said that every thing looked very good. But I still have this lung infection. If it's 6 months could it be a virus, do they last longer than a bacteria infection? I work in the restoration field, so I'm exposed to mold, fungi, ect..
Sorry you haven't gotten any help - I follow mostly to learn for application to my own problems with nasal congestion.

I didn't see (may have over looked) mention of allergy. From your work environment it sounds like a possibility.  Do you wear protective breathing gear?  If not, can you?  That's all I have to offer, hope you get an answer, better a cure.