Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Breathing problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Breathing problems

Oh Jan 28 of this year, I collapsed at work.  My chest felt like it was exploding.   They diagnosed me with a heart attack and also with that I ended up with trouble breathing.  My oxygen level when I got to the hospital was 78,   I ended up on oxygen, prednizone, inhalers, for the next 10 days. They ran all kids of tests and xrays.  the lungs show no growths, There is the evidence of being a smoker, (I was a smoker for 30, 1/2 a pack a day), but according to the dr. nothing really major there either   While in the hospital the lung Dr couldn't figure out why I kept feeling like I was breathing in extremely cold air only into my right lung.  It was actually painfull to breath.  I have since been released from the hospital and started theropy today.  With this starting while I was walking on the treadmill,  my lung once again felt like I was breathing in extremely cold air to the point it was painfull.  My Dr. has said it could be many things (Viral)and insists that it will go away in time.   I am not to sure that it will since he dosn't seem to really know what is causing this.  Any ideas would be helpfull
I have not heard of this symptom of "breathing in extremely cold air", before.  I wonder if the sensation of coldness may be a form of pleurisy, especially since "it was actually painful to breath."  It is a strange phenomenon but people sometimes feel pain as a cold sensation.  Pleurisy is inflammation or irritation of the pleura, the sac that holds the lungs.  This can cause chest tightness and pain, which is felt more with deep breathing and coughing.  Eventually pleurisy will resolve but it may take weeks.  During this time it is important to treat the pain so that you are able to breath as normal as possible so that other problems do not start.  Two things that may help with the pain are:
Have you had pulmonary function tests done? If not, then request them. If you feel uncomfortab;e with the Dr.s suggestion that it will just go away, challenge it. It's your body.
Yes I have had  pulmonary function tests done.  They show a decrease in the lung function.
Did they tell you anything else that you can remember? Did they mention restrictive lung disease? or Pulmonary fibrosis?
or Sarcoidosis?
they did mention fibrosis but that was it. Nothing more said about that. I am also now in pulmanory theorpy, I ride the bike for 10 minutes (no breathing problrms with that), I sit and lift weights 1lb on the right side and 2 lbs on the left.  then I ride the stationary bike. I only last there for  6 or 7 minutes before I have to stop beacuse that cold feeling slams me again in the right lung.
I'm a bit confused.  Did you actually have a heart attack?  I have read somwhere that increased energy in low degree weather can cause breathing problems and sometimes heart related problems.  Not sure what the actual reason for this are though.  Maybe the colder the weather the more your blood vessels are constricted?
You should call your Dr. and question him further about the mention of fibrosis. This means that the lungs are scarred, or hardening.
Have your doctor check for a paralyzed diaphragm.