Respiratory Disorders Community
Brittle Asthma Type II

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Brittle Asthma Type II

I have Brittle Asthma Type II triggered by respiratory infections, something I cannot avoid. I also have Vocal Cord Dysfunction. Even though I carry epi pen, wear medic alert bracelet, have IV steroids on me at all times and carry a letter stating my condition and what exactly should be done, it often never happens. Doctors don't understand Brittle Asthma and my treatment has been refused several times even after several near fatal attacks.

It doesn't matter what preventative measures you take to ensure that you are fully protected, some ignorant doctor will always know better and refuse to treat you. After three years of living with this, I wish the big fatal one would happen quickly because I am sick of the stress. I have had over 40 - 50 doses of IV steroids in 3 years. I am resistant to oral steroids and seem to becoming resistant to IV steroids. One dose of IV use to work and now I may have 4 - 5 doses in a week. I am intelligent, articulate and done everything in my ability to get help, even consulting with specialists in other countries. However, if you hit an ignorant doctor in an A & E department as an emergency there is nothing you CAN do. What needs to happen is that A & E departments and Respiratory Departments need to be educated in what Brittle Asthma Type I  and II are. Until this happens we will risk death and suffer the consequences of huge amounts of steroid intakes.

This discussion is related to BRITTLE ASTHMA.