Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bronchitis and Chest Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Bronchitis and Chest Pain

I don't recall and weezing or dificulty breathing [but my interpretation is probably different].  In the past 1987, I was exposed to Telone II probably chronic without relizing it, and I had several other symptoms like itchy rashes, headaches, nausea, dizziness, pharygitis, coughs that I never under stood why I was having them.  The next year at a differen duty station I was exposed to Asbestos ["low level"] for about 10 months and during this year, and I continued to have the same symptoms, but this year I had a very very bad chest pain, and it would hurt when I moved or breathed.  I always assumed it was "gas," so I would move and breath slowly.  I never knew what coused this pain, so I brushed it off.  In current years I still get the occasional cough, mostly dry coughs, but I have had some were mucous would come up, but a lot of times it is a clear white and very thick.  At one time I was told that it was bronchitis and another year I was told that I had COPD, and I don't smoke, I'm very senstive to smells, smoke, and other thinks in the air.  Later I was told that was probably misdiagnosed with COPD because in  later years a spirometyr test came up negative.  I'm currently cough a dry cough and when I cough harder I sometimes seem to taste something like "Blood," but I have no mucous, this morning I have some chest pain.  Is chest pain and cough consistant with Bronchitis?  What are your thoughs?  Thanks
Bronchitis is swelling and inflammation in the airways of the lungs.  Symptoms can include cough with mucus, chest discomfort, fever, and/or extreme tiredness.  By definition when this cough with mucus lasts for at least 3 months in a row 2 years in a row then it is chronic bronchitis.  Your chest x-ray and spirometry may be normal with chronic bronchitis.  Most instances of chronic bronchitis are due to cigarette smoking.  However people who have not smoked may get bronchitis from repeated exposure to high air pollution or from work exposures, especially when there is a family history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).  This is a combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

To find out what is causing your symptoms you will need to have a through evaluation.  A pulmonologist would be the type of specialist to identify if a lung problem is causing your symptoms and the best treatment.
Hi, thanks for the reply.  I don't know if you read the comments.  When I was told that I had COPD [1995] or I wasn't really told face to face, I read it in some papers.  In some papers/records, it also said that I had hyperinflation, hyperlucency, and some other stuff.  What I've read about hyperinflation is that it is/or can be caused by Emphysema.  However, in 2001 a spirometry came up negative, so my doctor said that I was "probably" misdiagnosed for COPD.  I'm still wondering about these things because even though my doctor said that I was 'probably misdiagnosed,' she still noted hyperinflation in my records.  You mentioned that Bronchitis may not show up in an x-ray and spirometry, so I'm wondering if my doctor should have done some other tests to get a more definite answer instead of just relying on the spirometry test and x-rays.  I go to the VA, so I know that they are very conservative with their patients, but I'm concerned because I feel like there is something going on, but they don't seem to be concerned.  I have other problems like HTN and LVH, sinus brady [unknown cause], these I've had for years but never took medication until I questioned the LVH, and I can't help but wonder if it may all be related to some main cause.  Is there another test aside from the x-ray and spirometry to check the lungs better?  I'm considering doing a body scan just to get this all out of the way.  Wondering is worse then knowing.  Thanks.
A related discussion, bronchoitis chest pain was started.