Respiratory Disorders Community
Bronchitis and athletics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Bronchitis and athletics

I have had Bronchitis for about 3 weeks now.  I just went to the doctor, most likely viral bronchitis and he gave me an expectorant, and an inhaler (Salbutamol).  The problem is that I am suposed to fly to South Africa on Monday and compete in a 3 day mountain bike race starting wednesday.  The days will be very demanding and I am worried how my lungs will perform, moreover are there any possible short and long term effects.

I feel totally fine.  Occasionally (3-5 times per day)  I have had a very deep cough and I cough up a lot of phlegm from my lungs.  I have had this for over 3 weeks now.  In hindsight I probably did not heal because I have been training and not resting.  I would ride 1 day, cough up a lot of phlegm and not feel great the next day, wait 2-3 days, feel just fine again and get back to training.  Since it is winter, sweating in the cold air probably didn’t help much either.  My worry is that yesterday I simply had to stop training because I was coughing so hard I was having difficulty breathing.  That is the first time that has ever happened.

Is the difficulty of breathing likely continue and are there risks in physically exertion within the next week?
your symptoms are remarkably similar to mine. I went to the doctor 6 weeks ago to be diagnosed with bronchitus (bronchitis). I seem to have lost 90% of that infection but what persists is a slight cough every now and again and a good bit of phlegm in my lungs. Just like yourself I like to play football but have been seriously hindered by severe fits of coughing which barely allowed me to continue. I figure the excercise is irritating the lungs. I am worried that this bronchitis is chronic and it has being going on for at least six weeks now. Does anyone know if this is going to go away anytime soon
well 5 weeks ago the Dr. said i had acute bronchitis with some pneumonia. i still have it now after 5 weeks. im not coughing or none of that. i feel fine. its just the shortness of breath and my nose a little stuffy. but thats pretty much it. does that mean its taking a little longer for my airwaves to heal? is it normal? im just wondering. i thinking about going to the hospital soon to get a check up.