Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Burning Lungs and Throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Burning Lungs and Throat

I had 2 really bad colds this past winter and they diagnosed me with Bronchitus (bronchitis). This spring I started to have a buring sensation in my Lungs and Throat. Also, a sever pain in my left shoulder from time to time. I seen my normal doctor multiple times and had chest X-rays. Their first diagnosis was a signs of COPD. I am 29 and barely ever smoked and am 6'8" tall and pretty thin. They ruled out COPD after they re-looked at the Xrays because my size my lungs are bigger. I was put on Alleve to see if that would get rid of the inflamation (inflammation). It seemed to work for a couple days, but did not cure anything. It is now Oct and I still have the same syptoms (symptoms). I went to a Pulmonolgist  and had a CT scan done of my chest and it came back normal. I also passed all of the breathing tests they gave me and pretty much ruled out any major issues with my lungs. I have no symptoms of coughing or coughing up stuff. I am lost for answers now as i start over trying to figure out what it is. It still feels like something in my lungs, but can not figure how that ties to my shoulder ache. I had a shoulder X-ray that came back normal as well.
The diagnosis that would tie the burning sensation together, with the "bad colds" would not be bronchitis or, for that matter, any primary disease of the lungs.  It would be gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or, as it is sometimes called, acid reflux.  This condition gives both gastrointestinal symptoms, such as heartburn, and respiratory symptoms, the latter in one of two ways:  1) direct aspiration of the acid reflux into the lungs, resulting in bronchitis and/or laryngitis; or 2) reflux just into the esophagus in a person with asthma who then has wheezing or cough through nerve reflexes.  You might want to check this out with your doctor.

This doesn't explain the shoulder pain.  That could be caused by tendinitis or a condition called adhesive capsulitis without any obvious change on x-ray, especially if the pain is aggravated by motion of the arm and/or shoulder.  You might want to consult with your primary care physician about another trial of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines or seek consultation with a rheumatologist.

Good luck.