Respiratory Disorders Community
CA-MRSA -how contagious?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

CA-MRSA -how contagious?

I have been the caretaker for my mother-in-law who lives with me and my family.  She needs full care, bathing, diapering, etc due to paralysis from a stroke many years ago and arthritis on her good side.  She came down with symptoms of a cold, then weezing, which the Dr. attempted to get under control through  a few rounds of antibiotics...a month later she was in the hospital with pneumonia, blood in urine, and overall weakness and confusion.  On day 3 of hospital stay, the results came back from a sputum sample pin poinint MRSA.  We were required to enter her room with gloves, mask, and gown on any visits.  At times a dr would come in, listen to her lungs, without any of the precautions taken.  If this is so infectious, then why do some have to "suit up" and other's don't.  I can't get a straight answer from anyone.  I am worried because I have been feeling very tired lately and have a bit of a cough.  I tell the nurse this and she just tells me to make sure I wash my hands.... I found out that the MRSA is also in her Kidney and that is why her urine is bloody.  Should I be worried?  If so, why isn't anyone giving me the help I may need?  I do not want to infect my son or family if they aren't already infected.....
hi, relax, not to worry much, most of us do harbour MRSA. Problem is with immunocompromised patients not healthy people with intact immunity. Treat your cough with anti histamincs with lozenges in case if it is dry cough and take antibiotics along with steam inhalation and mucolytics in case of productive cough.

Ideally, doctors should also take precaution while examining patients but due to overwork or other reasons, they tend to ignore precautions( common problem with doctors!)
MRSA is very contagious. It can be passed by person to person through touch I believe.

http://www.themrsavirus.com/mrsa-transmission.php
My daughter had MRSA in the icu. We had to wear a gown, gloves and mask when we went to visit her, yet the doctors and nurses used only gowns and gloves. I was confused by this.
Is it possible for a patient to contract MRSA in the lungs and if so HOW??