Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
CHRONIC COUGH FOR 4 YEARS

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

CHRONIC COUGH FOR 4 YEARS

Hi i am j, 22 years old. I have a chronic cough for almost 7 years now. I am scared because i don't want it to become a lung cancer. i don't know why or how this cough first started but all i know is it all started in the year 2007 when i was in my senior year in high school.I thought it was just an ordinary cough. but as time passes by, this cough is not yet removed. sometimes i cough with phlegm sometimes i just want to "cough". I don't know if it is a "mind over matter" problem or this is a respiratory disorder. i tried to take medicine for this cough but it was still the same, there's no result, after all my cough is still here. My sister said that i am only lack of rest, because i am still a student. i am busy preparing for my reports sometimes doing my codes in programming etc. so i sleep late then i will wake up early. I tried also to consult my doctor but the doctor gave me meds that can fight cough, but again, theres no result. Help me. what should i do.? i am scared -_-
There are many causes of chronic cough, experienced by a person your age but lung cancer or, for that matter, any type of cancer is extremely rarely the cause.  In addition, were this cough to be a sign of serious disease, after four years that cause would have become obvious.  I realize that chronic cough can be a terrible nuisance, make your life miserable and cause a person to suspect the worst.  But, no, it is highly likely that a cause can be found and treated.  Treatment in a non-specific manner with drug(s) that suppress your cough is not a long term solution.

If your doctor is unwilling/unable to conduct a serious investigation of the cause of your cough, I suggest that you identify the nearest University Hospital/Clinic Medical Center and arrange for a consultation by one of their physicians with a special interest in Cough. That doctor is most likely to be one in their Cough Clinic. (most such centers have a Cough Clinic).  If the one nearest you does not have a Cough Clinic, ask their people for the name and address of the nearest one, elsewhere and don’t hesitate to travel to it if that is necessary..

There is no reason why you should have to put up with this cough for the rest of your life

Good luck.