Respiratory Disorders Community
COPD + Jerking
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

COPD + Jerking

Hi,

My mother has COPD, has oxygen pumped round house and is on a variety of tablets and 'breathers'.

About 4 years ago mum had a strange 'jerking' in her hand. This has developed and now happens very often but has progressed beyond just her hand to sporadic uncontrollable spasms which can affect her legs (causing her to suddenly fall down) or arms (causing her to drop things).

Previously this jerking has been called rigor by her GP practice (but that term does not describe what actually happens) with the cause being allocated to 'medication'.

I have now persuaded one GP to investigate further. I'm not medically trained but I know the jerking is not due to her medication. I am hoping that a neurologist will help - we have requested that mum be referred to our local private hospital a.s.a.p.

Do you know of anyone else who has suffered similarly ? I should add that nothing presents as a warning that the jerking is starting, it can last for a few seconds or more recently for 10-15 minutes before abating.
Tags: jerking