Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
COPD concern

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

COPD concern

Hi there, I have recently had a pulmonary test after feeling some tightness in my chest. I breathed in a dust (dichotomous earth/all natural kind), and started feeling some tightness and shortness of breath shortly after. The results of my pulmonary test are worrying me, even though the specialist I saw told me it was asthma and gave me a puffer to use. I don't think it is asthma because my numbers changed very little after the puffer in my pulmonary test. Could you please tell me if these numbers are concerning? I can't sleep, and feel very stressed out about these results. Thank you kindly.

FVC (ref) 5.66 -- my result 5.06
FEV1 (ref) 4.71-- my result 3.60
FEV1/FVC  (ref) 81-- my result 71

I do not smoke, and have never smoked in the past. I do have seasonal allergies, and hpylori currently.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
The test results you have provided are probably slightly abnormal and consistent with the diagnosis of asthma.  If that is the correct diagnosis, I also would have expected improvement in your numbers following your using the bronchodilator at the time of testing.  The absence of any improvement does not rule out the diagnosis of asthma but makes it more likely that some other process, following and caused by your inhalation of dust is causing your symptoms.

Given that exposure, it would be appropriate to have a chest X-ray performed and consideration given to non-asthmatic lung disease, including infectious or non-infectious (irritant or allergic) causes of your symptoms.

In any event, you should be reassured by these test results as they are near-normal and this suggests that you have not sustained any significant permanent lung damage.

Good luck