I had a CT scan of my chest (5) weeks ago. My radiologist report states that there are (3) nodules (2, 3 and 5mm) in my lungs. I have an electronic copy of my CT images including the viewing sofware. I have "looked at the images many, many times. I am very confused about several things (see below). Specifically, I cannot "see" the nodules noted in the report when viewing the images. I have spoken to the radiologist, a pulmonigist and my promary care doctors. None of them can answer my questions. The radiologist refues to meet with me in person.
Regarding Non-Calcified Lung Nodules discovered by CT Scans:
This is what I already know. Most all of which I discovered using the internet.
1. How are nodules identified? Nodules are idetified as density differences within lung tissue.
2. How is density or calcification determined? Density is determined by visual comparison of nodule to bone structure within scan results.
3. How are repeat scans compared to determine changes in size and density? Subsequent scans are compared to see if previously identified nodules have changed.
Here's what I do NOT know regarding nodules detected by CT scan.
1. How can 10mm imaging resolution be used to determine nodules down to 2, 3 or 5mm sizes? My scans were done at 10mm increments.
2. How do radiologists compare repeat scans when mant factors could change? Follow on scans may vary considerably with regard to positioning on CT table, CT equipment and individual radioligists visual comparison criteria.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.