Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
CT Scan and Lung Nodules
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CT Scan and Lung Nodules

I had a CT scan of my chest (5) weeks ago. My radiologist report states that there are (3) nodules (2, 3 and 5mm) in my lungs. I have an electronic copy of my CT images including the viewing sofware. I have "looked at the images many, many times. I am very confused about several things (see below). Specifically, I cannot "see" the nodules noted in the report when viewing the images. I have spoken to the radiologist, a pulmonigist and my promary care doctors. None of them can answer my questions. The radiologist refues to meet with me in person.

Regarding Non-Calcified Lung Nodules discovered by CT Scans:

This is what I already know. Most all of which I discovered using the internet.

1. How are nodules identified? Nodules are idetified as density differences within lung tissue.

2. How is density or calcification determined? Density is determined by visual comparison of nodule to bone structure within scan results.

3. How are repeat scans compared to determine changes in size and density? Subsequent scans are compared to see if previously identified nodules have changed.

Here's what I do NOT know regarding nodules detected by CT scan.

1. How can 10mm imaging resolution be used to determine nodules down to 2, 3 or 5mm sizes? My scans were done at 10mm increments.

2. How do radiologists compare repeat scans when mant factors could change? Follow on scans may vary considerably with regard to positioning on CT table, CT equipment and individual radioligists visual comparison criteria.