Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
CT Scan lung spot - any thoughts?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

CT Scan lung spot - any thoughts?

About 3 weeks ago I went in to the ER due to some stomach troubles.  While I was there they took a CT scan of my abdomen, which happened to catch a bit of my lower lung.  Turns out the stomach issue was a virus but the radiologist found a spot on my lower left lung.  I haven't seen the radiologist report but apparently it was described as "non-specific".  I also do not know size.  I took a follow-up x-ray at my doctor's office and nothing was found.  We followed up with another full CT scan of the lungs one week after the first, and the radiologist found the spot again, same size, same description.  The doctor is recommending waiting another three months and taking another scan before doing anything else.  The doctor did mention that they saw some scarring on my lungs as well, but didn't mention anything about this spot being a scar.  The doctor tells me not to worry, that most of these turn out OK, and that they don't think it is anything to be too concerned about.  But, obviously, I am worried.

Backgound - 36yo male, non-smoker, but did work for a tobacco company for a few years where I was exposed to second-hand smoke on occasion.  I do live in the Ohio Valley and am told that histoplasmosis is common in this area, although the doctor hasn't mentioned this as a cause for my spot.  Am in good shape and run regularly.  I did have some problem with a persistent cough late in 2005.  Allergist had me perform some tests where I blew into a tube and they determined initially that my lung capacity was only 80% normal.  After going on some meds that went up to 95% or so.  

At your age and being a non-smoker, the advice to wait 3 months to repeat the CT scan is sound, especially if this spot is small less than 2 centimeters in diameter.

The spot you describe falls into the category of "coin lesion".  These are frequently found when a chest x-ray or CT scan is done for some other reason.  Unless there are any x-ray signs that suggest cancer, this is most likely a "coin lesion" due to Histoplasmosis.  In certain parts of the United States fungal infections are a common cause of a lung spot.  Histoplasmosis is a fungus that is found in the soil where there are large numbers of birds or bats.  In the United States Histoplasmosis occurs frequently in the Ohio and Mississippi River valleys.
Am also concerned about the number of CT scans I am having to take.  I've had two in the last three weeks and will have at least one more in the next two months.  Also had one earlier in the year on my abdominal area.  Anyone have a view on my risk to radiation exposure?
A related discussion, SPOTS ON LUNGS was started.
A related discussion, spot on ct scan was started.