Respiratory Disorders Community
Can Fluid in the Lungs become deathly?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Can Fluid in the Lungs become deathly?

My father had a heart attack, an artery blocked, has fluid in the lungs, has no infection, can fluid in the lungs can death, or make a person worse off
Tags: fluid, in, lungs
hi,about your father it cant be good to have a fluid build up! think about it when you drown
you have fluid fill your lungs and you die ,so if thats the case then unless you can reduce the fluid  you will soffocate from it.i would be very worried and call the dr for answers,and it might be a good idea to have a list of all questions before you go,that is very helpfull for you and his physician.....good luck keep us posted
It sounds like you are describing pulmonary edema, which can occur with serious cardiac disease. What happens is that the heart cannot keep up with the demands of the body due to poor function. The blood essentially backs up, resulting in fluid in the lungs as well as what is called third spacing in other parts of the body. Edema in the legs also can occur (does he have puffy feet?). Fortunately, the doctors can give meds to reduce the fluid in the lungs called diuretics along with meds for his heart if that is the cause to help make it more efficient.
Remember that I am not a doctor, just an ex ICU nurse, so please take what I say for face value.
This is just a guess as to what may be happening with your dad...I would talk to his doctor to get the best answers as to what is happening, why, and what the treatment will be.
Sunny
If  my husband has pleural mesothelioma,will he die of drowning in the lung fluids -thats his greatest fear
My doctor tells me that I have fluid in my lungs and advised a duretic.
I have angina and on heart tablets.
Should I have been given antibiotics?
cannot seem to pick up replies to my question July 07 2012                Help
from tilly39