Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can I quit Benadryl for now?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Can I quit Benadryl for now?
I recently had an attack of anaphylactic shock,so I have been taking Benadryl to prevent another one.I noticed that my mucus is thicker now and it makes me cough.If I stop taking the Benadryl,would that make my mucus less thick and easier to deal with?
Many antihistamines, most notably the so-called “sedating” antihistamines can have a drying effect on the body, resulting in thick mucous.  Drinking larger amounts of liquids does not necessarily counteract that.  So the answer to your question is probably, Yes.  Check with your doctor regarding an alternative to Benadryl or a medicine alternative to all histamines.

Also, if you and your doctors have not made a very concerted effort to determine the cause of the anaphylaxis, that should definitely be done, ideally under the supervision of a Board Certified Allergist.  Total avoidance of that substance is the best preventive measure.  The next best, with some allergens (for example bee stings or peanuts) might be desensitization (allergy shots).

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker