Aa
A
A
Close
Can X-ray definitely rule out Pleurisy?
Three weeks ago, I came down with a bad flu (some fever, deep chesty cough with lots of clear sputum, extreme weakness) , that lasted about 10 days.

The day before I came down with the flu, I had spent a whole day travelling on a coach and there was a very sick old man on the coach who was wheezing and making strange noises including rattling when breathing. I did use the on-board toilet, which he might have also used....

With self-medication and lots of rest, most of my symptoms disappeared except a cough and sharp stabbing pain in my chest when breathing. I went to the doctor and took a course of antibiotics called Amoxicillin B for 5 days (1000mg 2xdaily).

The cough almost subsided but I continue to have a sharp pain in my chest about 4 inches to the right of my . My symptoms were/are consistent with (dry?)Pleurisy but no fever. I returned to the doctor and had an x-ray done. The test showed 'clear and healthy' lungs and  and the doctor assured me that it is not Pleurisy but probably intercostal muscle straing possibly cause by coughing . So I have now been on a painkiller called Cathaflam (3x50mg daily).

Unfortunately, the pain although somewhat lessened by the painkillers during the day still persists on inspiration. Particularly when I lift my arm  over my head and in other positions when my chest is stretched out. Deep breathing and coughing is painful. I only cough a little when the pain is controlled. Strangely, otherwise I feel well and healthy, have a good appetite and feel lively, but I get out of breath if I exert myself or talk for a long time.  

Can the x-ray definitely rule out Pleurisy?

Would an ultra sound test be necessary?

Could intercostal muscular pain have similar symptoms to Pleurisy?

How long can I expect recovery to take? (I have been suffering from the symptoms for nearly two weeks and most websites say a few days to recover from Pleurisy once the underlying illness has gone)
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
144586 tn?1284669764
Pleurisy is a somewhat meaningless term.

I think you are asking the question as to whether or not you can have an area of infection that will not show on an x-ray. The answer to that is absolutely positively. An x-ray cannot possibly tell you you have "clear and healthy lungs". A lot depends on the technique (settings on the machine). Symptoms are far more valuable than an x-ray. And you have symptoms. Sharp pains are generally pleuritic, and due to strained muscles. But not always.You were on the anti-biotics for far too short a period. Just an opinion. But a short course of high-dose antibiotics is currently "the flavor of the month".  You probably had a viral infection. The catch is that a bacterial infection often "piggybacks" as the viral infection subsides.  To suggest a longer period of treatment with many physicians is like criticicizing God, motherhood and apple pie, not necessarily in that order.  Get plenty of sunlight, take a D3 supplement, zinc, 1000 mg of vitamin C, and purchase an expectorant (such as Robitussen). If you cough up yellow mucus you have a lung infection, regardless of what the x-ray says. You need ton take another look at your sputem at this time and you won't be able to do so without an expectorant.   Usually these problems are "self-limiting". But sometimes they are not. Give it another two weeks, unless you have yellow sputem, or ANY difficulty breathing or air hunger.
Comment
Cancel
144586 tn?1284669764
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank