Respiratory Disorders Community
Can You Be Healed /Or Get Rid Of Histoplasmosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have been sick with respiratory problems for quite a few years. I was diagnosed with severe COPD and asthma. I recently had a lung biopsy and was told I have histoplasmosis. An infectious Dr. prescribed Itraconazole two 100 MG capsules twice a day. He told me I would probally have to take them for about two months, however when I went to see my lung Dr. he told me I would probally have to take them for 6-8 months. Is it normal to take them for that long, and will this medication get rid of the histoplasmosis? I am a non-smoker and have no idea where I got this from. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you!
I am also on the same drug and same dosage as you are.  I had a lung nodule removed that was positive for histo.  My infectious disease doctor has me on the drug for three months and he says at the end of that time the histo should be gone.  I also am a non-smoker and have no idea where I picked it up.  I live in a rural area in Ohio, so that probably explains it.  You can literally drive yourself crazy trying to figure out where you got it.  The main thing is after the treatment you should be cured.