Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can a nasal sac burst?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Can a nasal sac burst?

I've had allergies/sinus problems for years.  My left nasal cavity has had swelling in the lower area for years, despite prescription decongestants, nasal sprays, antihistamines, prednisone, etc.  A few days ago I awoke sneezing.  My nose was draining (one side) a honey-colored to bright yellow liquid.  This was not thick mucous.  Upon inspecting the inside of my nose the swollen area was completely gone.  It was as if a water balloon popped and I had these flapping balloon pieces left.  Consequently I have also experienced numbness/pain under my nose and in the upper jaw area.  I can press on areas of pain and actually cause this liquid to drain.

This occurred on the last day of predisone and am currently taking singulair, entex, nasonex, allegra, and patanol eye drops.  Is it possible for something to just burst in your nose causing this area to deflate?  The doctor has seen inside of my nose prior to this and never diagnosed a polyp or anything.  So what happened?
The most likely possibilities for what you have described are:
1. This was a fluid filled cyst that appeared as the same consistency as the lining of your nose.
2. This was an abscess.  This is not as likely.  You would probably been aware this had developed.
3. Polyps are not usually fluid filled.

You may need to see an ENT specialist to evaluate the situation, if this does not heal completely.