Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can a pulmonary embolism give you asthma?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

In 2010 I had my first pulmonary embolism which they were very large. In December 2012 I had another pulmonary embolism that was also very large and I had clots in my left leg. After 6 weeks when I tried to return to work I started getting short of breath and very fatiged when walking. I also have a sharp burning pain in my left shoulder
blade. Just last week I had an asthma attack and I was put on symbicort and ventrium inhaler. Whenver I try to walk any distance if I am out I get very tired and short of breath with a tigthness in my chest. I have an appointment with my pulmonary doctor in 2 weeks. I was told that I also have scar tissue left over from the first PE. Could the PE give my all these problems? And I am on warfarin 6mg a day! I'm okay at home with some slight wheezing but when I leave my job I can barely walk to the train and it's only 2 blocks. When I'm walking I feel like I'm trying to walk up a hill!

I would be very concerned that your “asthma attack” was not asthma at all.  More likely, given your history, what you experienced then and, perhaps, in an ongoing fashion was recurrent pulmonary emboli.  Wheezing in response to embolism is not that common but it is a well established occurrence in some individuals.  In essence, all that wheezes is not asthma.

Perhaps you have already been thoroughly evaluated for an inherited or acquired coagulation disorder, of which there are quite a few causes.  If not you should have such an evaluation.  Multiple recurrent emboli can cause pulmonary hypertension and that could definitely be a reason for your seriously impaired exercise capacity.  In addition, there  are other instances in which clots are not transported to the lungs from elsewhere in one’s body, but develop spontaneously within the pulmonary arteries or rarely within the pulmonary veins.  That is why complete reassessment of condition, urgently,  by a physician well versed and experienced in the management of thrombo-embolic disease is so important.  Do not delay contacting your physicians and do not accept the recommendation of delay for an answer.  

Another possibility might be that warfarin is not the optimum anti-coagulant for you either because of a failure to maintain your INR in the therapeutic range or because different classes of anticoagulants, including what is called Low Molecular Weight Heparin or another class of which a drug called Fondaparinux is an example may provide more effective anticoagulation .

I believe that you are currently at very high risk and that you should be evaluated by your pulmonary doctor on an urgent basis; and definitely not wait for two weeks.  I suggest that you contact this doctor and report what you have described below, in detail.  Your degree of shortness of breath is worrisome enough without any exaggeration.  If you are unable to contact the pulmonary doctor or another of your doctors familiar with your condition and its management I suggest that you arrange to be seen in the Urgent Care Unit of the nearest major hospital.

Feel free to share this message with your caretakers.