Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can anxeity play a role in a low fev1 reading?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Can anxeity play a role in a low fev1 reading? i get severe anxeity when i take pfts Thanks Mike?

if so, what do you suggest i do to help deal with the anxeity? i'm 38 male 5'8" 172lbs.. my FVc is between 450-550, my FEv1 is 70% and Fev/Fvc is 75%. is there any good herbs or medicine i can take for my anxeity. Thanks Mike
It can play a role but only if it results in a sub-optimum effort, on your part, during the performance of the test.  Pulmonary function laboratories have a number of criteria to be met for an effort to be optimum and valid.  My advice is that you speak to the technologist regarding his/her professional assessment of your effort.  If it is deemed to be satisfactory, there should be no need to take one of what are called anxiolytic  drugs.  Ideally, your body should be in a drug-free state during performance of the test.  Your values appear to be within the “normal” range.

Good luck.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker