Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can my old CT scan or MRI be used to check my sinuses?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I got two scans--an MRI and CT--both of which were done to test for injury to the brain 2 years ago.

I have lifelong chronic sinusitis/post-nasal drip, the cause of which is uncertain.

I have copies of both scans, and I'm wondering if I could pass them on to a physician who might be able to use them to determine whether I have, say, hypertrophy of the sinus turbines (etc)?

I'm trying very hard to get the bottom of this very annoying sinus issue, and I want to rule out anatomical problems. Many thanks for any input you can provide, it will be much appreciated.
The radiologic technique, including the areas of interest (your brain) is much different than that used for evaluation of the sinuses.  That is not to say that one or more sinuses might be visible on the brain scans you have but to state the fact that any worthwhile evaluation of your sinuses should be conducted with a CT scan, specific for your sinuses.

It would be nice to be able to avoid the time, expense and radiation exposure of further scanning but I don’t believe that is feasible.

Good luck