Respiratory Disorders Community
Can pluerisy years ago be responsible for recurring rib pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I'm hoping some one can help. I have a history of chest infections & get them regularly but a few years ago i was rushed to hospital with serious lung infection that i think was pluerisy. I was experiencing severe pain in back, arm and right side of ribs. I had a fever, breathing hurt as did sitting. I also started coughing up pink phlem. I was treated with antibiotics but it persisted and needed more antibiotics as it felt like popping & acid burning up my back & ribs on right side, a pain more severe than anything i have ever experienced.

Ever since then on & off i have experienced similar pain in my back & lower ribs (from breast height down) on the right. It feels like the pain is between the ribs in the cartlidge. It also is very tender & sore to touch the connective knobbly parts on the right side connecting to my back. It actually feels like a rib is poking slightly out of place. The pain ranges from moderate to debilatating where all movement causes sharp pain. I have just been dealing with these attacks when they arise but would really like to get to the cause.
It has recently kicked off by being lifted up from behind by an over vealous student in my class. Please help me
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed leading to pleuritis, causing pain with coughing and movement. It can occur due to local causes like recurrent lung infections. Episodes of pleurisy are also known to recur causing pain. If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. The pain can also be due to orthopedic related causes like cervical rib, cervical spondylosis or disc prolapse. A simple x-ray will help and an orthopaedician can guide you. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. In the meantime you can take OTC Ibuprofen pain medication. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis. Regards.