Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can you have pneumonia without symptons

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Can you have pneumonia without symptons

On Sunday, I lifted my laundry and had a stabbing pain through my chest.  This pain didn't abate until I went to the ER Monday.  I was Dx with pneumonia in my left lung.  I was wondering how I could have pneumonia without any symptons.  I don't have any immunodeficiency issues but I did have pneumonia in Dec in the rt lung.  Help please!!!
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung.  This is most commonly due to an infection.  Usually there is fever and discolored sputum.  Some people may continue with their routine activities without being aware that they have pneumonia.  It is possible to have pneumonia without having any symptoms.  Generally this happens in the early stages.  This is called walking pneumonia.  It is best diagnosed by chest x-ray in addition to a thorough examination.  Please read our Pneumonia MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/pneumonia.html for more information.

It is unusual to have pneumonia in one lung and several months later to have it in the other lung.  The cause may be due to a weakened immune system or aspiration.  The entry of foreign materials, including food and gastric contents into the windpipe is called aspiration.  Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor.
I don't understand why I can't get a response.
My mom had pneumonia off and on for at least 5 yrs till she died from it. But she was ill over all. Didn't eat as much and had server arthritis. It all started from a bad cold the ended up in broncitis and then pneumonia. After having pneumonia a couple of times during the year. She had no symptoms. She was on different antibiotics. Nurses would come to the house to give antibiotics via IV. Toward the 4th year of getting pneumonia, she had no cure antibiotics breathing treament ect didn't work. She would cough up bright red blood. She died in her sleep.