Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cannot obtain a full breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cannot obtain a full breath

I have recently been experiencing a difficult time getting a full breath. I yawn about every couple of minutes and only on occaision can I actually feel that my yawn is complete and my lungs filled. I am definitely more fatigued during the daylight and do not sleep well as it is. I am 47, 5'10", 275, high blood pressure and high colestral, but otherwise fairly health. It takes months to get an appointment to see my regular physician. I only smoke once in a while if I am drinking. I have since stopped all my medications when my breathing became like it is about a week ago. I had already stopped taking prednesone for some gout in one foot and was taking 4 alluprenol for the acid buildup which I blame for the breathing thing. I also was taking quite a bit of Aleve for pain. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I still can't seem to get my full breath. Thank you.
You will need a thorough exam by your regular physician to know what the problem could be that is keeping you from getting your full breath.  Even though it takes months to get an appointment with your regular physician, please call now to schedule an appointment.  It
I've been having this problem as well. I remember having it briefly as a child (age 14 or 15) but it went away and now suddenly I'm having it again. It seems to occur in the afternoon and in the evening. I went to a doctor when I was a kid and went to one last week. They both said it was "stress!"
OMG, I have had STRESS in my life and this is not one of those times. I don't believe it is stress at all.
I have another appt. with a doctor in a couple of weeks, and I hear this one is good, not some quick answer doctor with no follow through.
In the meantime, I was hoping that if anyone with these symptoms and has had some kind of diagnosis since posting here, would let me know what it was: Can't seem to get enough air even with big gasping breaths here and there. Sometimes it feels like an unfulfilled yawn, other times a yawn will fulfill it for a few minutes (and what a relief).
I wake up just fine though, and seem pretty good breathing-wise for the morningtime.
A related discussion, I cant get a full breath was started.