Respiratory Disorders Community
Can't Stop Coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Can't Stop Coughing

I am so glad I ran across this forum. Has anyone found a cure for this horrible life changin cough yet? My story is just like all the stories I've read in this forum so there is no need me repeating what I am going through. This has been going on for 5 months. I can't take it anymore. I can't talk without coughing and am peeing all over myself. I have to wear diapers 24/7. I have not insurance and no job so I can't go to all the specialist that can help me. I've already been to my Dr. and it's starting out just like all of the other people reporting on this forum. Please God Help Us!!!!!

This discussion is related to Coughing, coughing, coughing!!.
Sorry to read about your stressful condition... I have not read the other threads on this subject.  So, I wonder if you have given an very careful consideration to what was going on in your life/environment 5 months ago when the cough started?  Something must have triggered it, and maybe it is still around..something new in your home, animate or inanimate, think back even if you already have.  Any discussion with a doctor should include accurate information about how you fell, when it started, any other changes... must be other important things.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the wind pipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime you could try warm salt water gargles and breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.